So many home security systems depend on motion sensors, and they are definitely important if you’re serious about protecting your home from outside threats. But, if you really want to keep an eye on your home, you need to use home security cameras.
The trouble is finding the right camera for your needs! We’ve done all the work for you. Here are 6 of the very best wireless home security cameras that will keep your home safe.
The Canary camera is a good choice for people who are looking to cover an entire interior area of their home. Instead of focusing on whether your door is open or closed, or whether someone has crawled in through the window, Canary believes that real security comes with knowing exactly what’s going on inside your home while you’re away.
- Wide angle, HD monitoring
- High-quality audio
- Motion detection
- Temperature, humidity, and air quality readings
- Seconds to set up
- Free plans retain video for 12 hours with up to 5 saved videos
- Extended plans start at $49 annually, and can cost as much as $299 annually
Foscam is a little different than other camera companies because it appeals to a wide variety of customers with multiple products. From hidden cameras to traditional indoor cameras and beyond, Foscam has a product that is sure to appeal to residential, retail, and wholesale customers. You can even check out live demos of their products!
- Over 15 different types of cameras to choose from
- The password protected graphical interface can manage up to 9 cameras at a time
- Can be purchased at physical locations, like Best Buy and Walmart
- No need to sign up for a plan
- Cameras cost as little as $59.99
Voted one of the best products of 2015 by pcmag.com, Piper combines multiple features into one small, modern-looking device. It offers many of the services you would expect from a traditional home security system without all the bulky equipment, and without the need to sign up for an expensive monthly plan.
- Customizable security modes
- Motion and sound detection
- Intruder alarm
- Push, text, email, and phone alerts
- Two-way audio
- Home automation is available
- Sensors, switches, and more are also available
- Cameras start at $199
Arlo focuses on simplicity with its cameras. With one camera to be used outdoors and another to be used indoors, you can keep an eye on everything going on in and around your property from your smartphone, tablet, or computer. You can even schedule exactly when you want your cameras turned on and off so you’ll never have to worry about fidgeting with them before you leave home.
- Arlo Wire-Free is waterproof so it can be placed outside
- Arlo Q is a 1080p HD camera with night vision
- Free Cloud recording for up to 7 days
- Two-way communication
- Multiple packages available
- Additional products, like ceiling cameras, can be added to your order
- Packages start at just $179.99
- Nest Cam
If you’re looking for a way to integrate video into your Nest home automation system, you should definitely look into the Nest Cam. There are a wide variety of service options you can sign up for to make your camera even smarter, including Nest Aware, which allows 24/7 continuous recording and the elimination of false alarms due to pets and falling branches.
- High-quality, 1080p video
- Night vision
- 130 degree views with zoom capabilities
- Compatible with Nest’s home automation system
- Cameras cost just $199
- Nest Aware starts at $10 per month
Sentri is an interesting home security camera option because it looks more like a tablet than a security camera. It offers many of the video capabilities you would expect from other cameras on the market, but because the camera itself is a touchscreen, it’s easy to control. With its unassuming appearance, burglars aren’t likely to take the time to try and break or disable it.
- All-in-one camera and touchscreen system
- Ability to control other smart devices using the Sentri camera
- Real-time alerts, including live video monitoring
- Night vision
- Compatible with Nest
- The Sentri camera costs $249
It is important to understand that these camera systems do not come with the monitoring services you might expect from a traditional home alarm system. But, if you’re more interested in taking control of your home’s security than paying someone else to do it for you, you should definitely consider one of the outstanding security cameras on this list.